Confessions of a Pinhole Glasses User


Yesterday, I received a parcel. In it was a pair of pinhole glasses. It's definitely not the first time that I came across pinhole glasses. My first encounter with them was perhaps two or three years ago, when I was in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia. I was window shopping in a shopping complex when I came across these strange spectacles without lenses in a drugstore. It was very unlike the normal glasses which I have seen and that itself, stirred my curiosity. An accompanying brochure claimed that the spectacles would be good for reading purposes as well as watching television. At that time, I was just starting to have problems with my eyes. Age has caught up and I had been prescribed reading glasses by my doctor. I had a pair made immediately but barely three months or more later, I had to have another new pair made to meet the increasing power of the lenses. The two glasses had cost me a bomb and the possibility of getting a cheaper alternative spurred me on to try the glasses.

So, there I was, trying out the pinhole glasses in the shopping complex even though I had truly believed then that I looked ridiculous in these glasses which seemed to be made for toddlers living in a playhouse! But then, these pinhole glasses are really amazing! Even without lenses, they work! The pinhole glasses supposedly work by blocking indirect rays from entering the eye and preventing them from distorting vision. I am not sure if it is true that the glasses can restore clear vision or that they can overcome impaired vision caused by refractive eye disorders but I am tempted to believe that the pinhole glassespinhole glasses can help restore a myriad of eye complaints like Computer Vision Syndrome and cataract especially. Since taking up blogging, I have spent long hours working on the computer and I am bound to believe that the concave lenses of the normal glasses will focus much of the light from the computer into the eyes which I suppose, cause much of the discomfort to the eyes, a symptom of Computer Vision Syndrome; besides risking cataract in the long run. There is really a good reason to believe that pinhole glasses is better than prescription glasses! Here then I confess: I bought two pair of the pinhole glasses the first time I came across them. I specially bought a pair for myself and another for my nephew who had been wearing prescription glasses since schooldays. One should always share the goodies around especially with loved ones!

Comments

Liudmila said…
I've never heard about something like this. And have never seen them in the commerce. Thanks for information.
footiam said…
It's very hard to find the glasses in optical shops. I saw it in a drugstore and have seen it again in Peninsular Malaysia, in Kuala Lumpur, but only once!