A Traveller's Tale: Winter in Genting



The Beano comic is a long-running British children's comic said to have first appeared in 1938 during Second World War. Its iconic characters such as Dennis the Menace, Minnie the Minx, and The Bash Street Kids are said to be known to generations of British children but I knew about them too. Some people from my generation should probably know about them since they might have, during their school days, been fed at one time or another a diet of Beano or the Dandy too, the latter being another comic published on alternate week to The Beano by the same Scotland company, D.C. Thomson & Co. Ltd. This isn't surprising since those days, the comics were distributed in some of the British colonies or former colonies. I suppose Malaya as Malaysia was then called, could be one of British's star colonies, probably providing much revenue to the Queen what with her people's exploitation of Malaysia's tin and rubber. Anyway, I read that the two comics are still being produced, making The Dandy, the longest running comic in the world. Though I hardly see them in the bookstores nowadays, the influence of the comics is however, still there. Never underestimate the power of comics! The winter scenes in the comics really make me yearn for sledge rides down the slope of a snow covered hill and thank goodness, in Genting Highlands, there is a place called Snow World where my dream came true... You can throw artificial snow there, really... cross my heart...


Taking the world's fastest and South East Asian's longest cable car called Genting Skyway (3.38km)...
across a lush tropical forest....


you'll come across artificial snow and winter in Snow World...
Personal cameras are not allowed in there now but years back you can bring in your own camera... and a group of us did took some photos when we spent our winter there...

Comments

Anonymous said…
http://www.skyrail.com.au/
The Skyrail experience, spanning 7.5kms over pristine rainforest, allows you to explore the wonders of an ancient tropical rainforest and learn about one of the most botanically fascinating and diverse areas on earth.

had to put that in to promote Australia :)
fwidman said…
Just looking at the winter scenes makes me cold. Brr.
I don't think I'd have the courage to get on that cable ride. I don't care much for being off the ground. I don't ride roller-coasters either LOL
footiam said…
Blogmaster, Australia sounds interesting. Great promotions!
footiam said…
Fwidman, When you are in a hot tropical country for the whole year, winter seems so special and the cable car ride isn't like the roller-coaster ride. It's like going to the dentist. You are dreadful of it but there's really no pain.
Mark Antony said…
I remember the Beano ad the Dandy from when I was a boy. They may well be collectors editions now, my barber has some of them stored!
footiam said…
I suppose they are like the internet to toeday;s kids!