A Traveller's Tale:A Little Temple by the Sea

On our way back from Teluk Bahang Reservoir, we stopped at a beach.I was tempted to pick up and take home some litte clay oil lamps strewn there but didn't. We saw a little Indian temple which I heard,holds a special floating chariot procession each year, special in that the procession takes place in the sea! It must be the Sri Singamuga Kaliamman Temple we came across. Hindus from as far as Singapore flock here around February or March each year during Maasi Magan or the month of Maasi in the Indian calendar to pay homage to the female deity, Sri Singamuga Kaliamman whom some claimed to have seen roaming the beach with her lion. During the festival, lanterns would be released on the sea which really reminds me of the Thai Loy Kratong Festival as well as the one special morning which I had spent in Varanasi, India. A tree near the temple had what looked like charms or talisman tied to its branches and there was even a little shrine for Buddha! I suppose Gods unlike man could live together!

At a beach in Teluk Bahang...Can you spot Lord Buddha?
















Comments

Liudmila said…
:-) In Tibetan buddhism there is a Dakini with name Singhamugha...

Great photos!
footiam said…
singha sounds like a lion!
Liudmila said…
You are right, it's a Dakini with the head of a lion. Unfortunatelly I don't know more, but I think she protects from all the negativities. That is why this look.
footiam said…
I wouldn't be surprised if theTibetan deity originates in India. I think there is a similar Chinese deity too but then I am not really sure.There are many Chinese deities and it's hard to know them all.