A Traveller's Tale: Sungai Siput Surprise

Sungai Siput is a small town in Perak but the Mahatma Gandhi Kalasalai Tamil School there with over 1000 students is reputed to be the biggest Tamil school in the state and the school was even officially opened by the former Indian Prime Minister Nehru's sister, DR Vijayaletchumi Pandit . So much history for a small town and my nephew has sprung a surprise! He was going there to Value-Mart on yet another working trip! I was actually glad because for my entire life, I had just passed the town while traveling home to Taiping from Kuala Lumpur or vice versa by bus or car. Suddenly, I had the opportunity to step on its soil and I was going to visit Value-Mart too, which I believe is the current in place for local Sungai Siput shoppers. I really don't know but there at Value-Mart, my nephew and I had some pasembur and cendol, both being local delights, the former a sort of salad dipped in peanut gravy and the latter, a sweet savoury dish which I had described in an old post at Travel Pangs. The food were touted as the best around; the best in Sungai Siput perhaps, but definitely not in Taiping but well, sometimes, it is not the food that matters. The company you have is...

Moving into Sungai Siput...




Value-Mart..






...Sungai Siput cendol...


... pasembur...



...and company.



Comments

Liudmila said…
Oh, it's not true... The plate is sooooooo little! I thought it was big enough to full the stomach...
footiam said…
Cendol is a dessert. It is not meant to be big or filling.
Anonymous said…

HI does anyone know where is the best "loh mee fun" - glutious rice with roast pork located now in sungai siput ?