An Act of Kindness

When Blogcatalog organized a program for bloggers to do some act of kindness on 17 December, I was tempted to participate. I would feed a stray cat or dog perhaps, take a picture and post it either in my beautiful world or perhaps in my other blogs especially at Dhamma Delights but I knew that I wouldn't be around then. I would be in India with a group of pilgrims visiting important Buddhist sites such as Lumbini, Kusinagar, Sarnath, Nalanda etc. It was to my delight then that the group of pilgrims whom I joined took time to visit a little school with bare necessities in a little unknown hamlet to do a bit of dana, some act of generosity that is. It was not on the 17 December that the act of kindness of distributing stationery to some poor students was done but then what the heck - Need there be a date to do some kindness?

A school in India...



A school without chair or desk...




Distributing pencils and exercise books...




To waiting boys and girls...



Do we stop here, I wonder...

Comments

Liudmila said…
Who knows, maybe it's the most important help you can do: to give one more possibility to learn to somebody who wants to learn.
Anonymous said…
I do not understand the first comment, but all I can say:
Well done!
God bless you
Keli said…
No date required to do some kindness, I think. A little kindness daily can go a long way. Thanks for sharing the photos from India. Good work!
footiam said…
It's more important to teach people to stand on their own feet, Liudmila. Maybe, you may have heard of this Chinese proverb which says that we can give a fish to a person and he will have food for a day but if you teach him to fish, he will have food everyday.
footiam said…
Maybe, I'll reedit the post, blogmaster.
footiam said…
Thanks Keli, there is no dateline too!
footiam said…
Thanks himalman for the invitation!
Anonymous said…
We feel the same way about poverty... Amongst many of my projects to aid the poor include sponsorships for students, teachers and schools in Guatemala. I also work with artisans to promote fair trade products. Poverty is a complicated and messy subject but I am a believer that education is critical to the eradication or at least minimizing the effects of poverty. Have you read John Wood's book: Leaving Microsoft to Change the World? Excellent book. Visit www.globallyminded.com and www.globallymindedworks.org to learn more about my passion.
footiam said…
Thanks for the link Kat. I really admire the work you do and I wish I am half as good.